Wednesday, July 4, 2012

DUST Anew!


George Lucas has been forever chastised for his constant fiddling with the original Star Wars trilogy.  That thought was front-and-center before contemplating a second edition of my first novel, DUST.  Why go through the trouble?

Besides the obvious fact that I’m not Mr. Lucas, nor has DUST become a global icon with billions infected, the story plainly wasn’t written the way I originally intended.  What?  Yes, perhaps I listened to some commercial writing advice during my career infancy that should have been tossed into Mount Doom’s cauldron.  The glory that is Print On Demand also allows me this luxury.

The first thing you should know:  THE STORY HASN’T CHANGED.  Well...not exactly.  Then, what exactly did I do?  Taking a few months longer than writing the original story, I expanded the characters’ depth, changed the tense, added dialog, added an entirely new scene, sharpened the language, and handcuffed the editors to each paragraph before approving this edition.  It’s an entirely new book, and the perfect exercise before…  Well, let me hit reverse gear for a moment.

“WHEN IS THE NEXT BOOK COMING OUT?”

That is The Most Frequently Asked Question regularly received by this author.  There once was this grand diversion named BOLITA.  Shortly after DUST’s publication, my father approached me about writing the story of a Tampa detective’s assassination by the mob.  He was deeply involved in it, as was my godfather, whose health had greatly deteriorated.  We reviewed a few books that merely contained a side mention or annotation of the murder, without knowledge of the epic lying underneath.  Actually, I didn’t know BOLITA was destined as such a sprawling endeavor until the research was at the midway.  Worse, another project (I help pay the bills with 3D animation) interrupted the process and stretched it to two years.  It’s a dread shame to leave a little girl hanging that long, I know.

During that time, my skills sharpened and I had this other epiphany:  This is where I realized that I wrote DUST completely unlike any of my favorite authors.  So who’s more qualified to give advice and inspiration?  I rewrote the first chapter and a sudden calm fell over me.  Ahhhh…  much better.  That’s settles it then.  What better way to get myself finely tuned for the next than a full rewrite?  So, guess what I’ll be up to in the coming months?

I can’t wait.

There is, however, this matter about actually publishing and marketing the Second Edition…and I have a surprise for you all.

DUST is now available at Amazon’s Kindle Lending Library a lend for FREE under that program.  If you’re not in the program, the Kindle 2ND EDITION is available for download for just $2.99 US.  There will be more free promotions coming soon.  The Amazon Paperback is just out for $11.99 US, 2ND Edition Collectible Hardcover 30% OFF! available now at Lulu.  Signed editions are also in the pipe (Mr. Hopwood!).

START THE ADVENTURE!

Stay tuned to this blog and LIKE ON FACEBOOK for the latest updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

T. Nelson Taylor | Official Site | DusT | Bolita